PCOD : Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome
Explained in a simpler way with my experience :-
A health problem which most of the women face today are PCOD or PCOS . Though Doctors claim this to be a life style disease, this can creep into anyone who even has normal life style habits !
I got diagnosed with PCOD at the age of 17, when my mom took me to gyneac to check for my irregular periods. The doctors took some blood test to check my hormonal levels( Testosterone, Tsh etc) Though I dint have thyroid, I was having multiple cysts in my ovaries which made my regular periods difficult.
The symptoms I had was irregular periods, abnormal hair growth on the neck/body, tremendous hair fall indicating male pattern hair shedding. Luckily I dint have any pain, and I was not obese though. But the other symptoms I mentioned above always used to worry me.
The main problems you face with PCOD before and after marriage are :
Before marriage – The above said irritating symptoms
After marriage - You need to worry on getting pregnant. Most of the woman wont ovulate regularly and getting conceived naturally turns out to be difficult !
Here I take you through the problems associated with PCOD and the remedies you can deal with.
- > What is PCOD ??
PCOD as the name suggests is a condition in which the woman will have multiple cysts in her ovaries. As a result the ovaries get enlarged in size , and rarely produces a matured ovum or egg , which results in irregular periods.
Since the periods are mostly irregular your body will have more more androgen and estrogen hormones, which creates a hormonal imbalance in your body.
The most common symtoms are :
1: Irregular periods
2: Abnormal body and facial hair growth
3: Obesity
4. Acne/ Pimples on face
5: Hair loss with a male pattern baldness.
1: Brief of my experiences with Irregular periods :
As a Teenager:
My periods used to get delayed normally 2 to 3 months when i was a teenager. I started with English medicines initially. The doctor gave me oral contraceptive (OCP) pills for 3 months and asked me to follow the instructions as she said. But I started gaining weight and excessive pimples with every month. I dint want this and stopped continuing the medicines. Then for a long time I was not bothered. I took it the way how it was. Even when it was delayed for months together I was not so conscious. I was happy that the usual pains and irritations are not nagging me.
College time:
Later when I was in college, my mom was really concerned and she took to me to a Homeopathic doctor nearby our house in Trivandrum. He gave me some powder and drops to have it twice daily. It was very effective and I started getting periods every 1.5 months.
At Job:
I got placed in a company in Chennai and after I came here, discontinued the use of the medicine for a while, but still continued to have 1.5 months periods pattern. Cutting down on my extra calories since I was in hostel,having good food and exercise, I could lose2- 3 extra kgs of weight(earlier I was 53 and I went to 49.5) and started looking really slim, sleek and beautiful. At times eventhough my periods get delayed ,it was manageable. In the3 years of my hostel life, mostly had normal to slightly irregular periods. Sometimes it gets delayed though for 2 months or so.
After Marriage problems:
1)Spotting/Prologed periods:
I never thought after marriage life will be have these much hormonal differences!! Till the previous month of my marriage, I was having almost regular periods. After marriage, don’t know all of a sudden my periods became worser. Everytime it took nearly 3 months for me to see a spotting, and that too it will last only for 2 days and will fade .Or it will spot for first few days, then will have heavy flow.. and then will start again spotting.. Fed up I was with almost everyday periods or nothing at all!! My mother in law was so eager to have a baby and seeing my irregular periods she was disappointed.
2)EVK Hopital /Orgamed Tab :
With her advice, I went to Dr.Soumya Balakrishnan in EVK hospital, Mylapore. She was kind enough. Prescribed me to have Orgamed tablet for 4 months , a multivitamin tab Becadexamin, and then asked to wait for 6 months to get conceived. Still if I couldn’t conceive, she suggested that she would induce me ovulation. I was never confident on getting pregnant and it was just 8 months after our marriage. Still for the fear of PCOD infertility problems, started having the medicines regularly.
I consumed the medicine for everyday for 4 months continuously. From 15th day after my periods, I need to have it for 10 days and stop it. Within 3 days after stopping the tab you will get the flow. For the first 2 months had a proper flow and then it was spotting. After my 4th month of Orgamed, I stopped it and waited for natural periods to come. The flow started on 41st day after stopping the pills and lasted for about 1 month continuosly. When I called up the doc, she asked me to have the Orgamed again for 10 days and stop. I dint have confidence to do that since I knew prolonged periods was a side effect of having the pills. Abruptly it stopped on a day, and later 1 week after again started.
Ayurvedic Medicines:
I was dejected and started hating English medicines. Called up my old homeopathic doc and he suggested me to try ayurveda. With no much hope, I started having ayurvedic medicines regularly and my periods stopped in a week. I was glad but still worried whether it would come again. Continued the ayurvedic medicines everyday.
Pregnancy:
My periods stopped and couldn’t get it back in the next 2.5 months…Guess why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was pregnant. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw 2 line strands in the pregnancy kit. Later in the evening we went for a HCG blood test and confirmed to be pregnant. I still don’t know whether the ayurvedic medicines helped or Orgamed. I called upon my ayurvedic doc and said many thanks!!!!!!! My husband was the most happiest.. He was running with the kit to show everyone at home that we got double line in the kit.. sweet of him !
we were trying for a kid from last 9 years but we didn't have kid. I was suffering from low count and my wife had pcod. my family doc told me to take herbal treatment for both of us and sent us to Arogyam. thanks to my doc n Arogyam doc. my count become 65 million in just 8 months. and my wife pcod problem also cured. now she is 2 month pregnant. we r very happy. thank you arogyam
ReplyDelete